Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Spring has sprung!

well....I already know from looking at my garden calendars that spring is actually WAY early this year (compared to the last few).    While in years past we've had nights still down to freezing at this point, my early April hardy plants (lettuce, spinach, radishes & peas) seem to be doing just fine.   Usually at this time of year I'm reminding folks that the last frost date isn't until Mother's Day, at least!   Now, however, I feel like we have no idea - so this year I'm trying to get on board and plant hardy plants ASAP...so that they can be of harvestable size before whatever is coming next (namely, tender squash, beans and cukes!)  Is global warming helping my garden?

Also, the dandelions are up!  I used to think these were just completely obnoxious weeds..until, perusing some garden reading, some author mentioned how helpful dandelions are.    So many beneficial insects need flower nectar to feed off of, and dandelions, one of the first flowers up in spring, provide an excellent source before the real cornacopia of spring and summer flowers get going.   So, the advice goes, let dandelions flower with reckless abandon - and then uproot the heck out of them when they start going to seed!



Spring lettuce and spinach in the front raised bed


hardy urban dandelions


No comments:

Post a Comment