Friday, August 17, 2012

Kimchi

Nappa Cabbage, young onion and daikon after soaking overnight in brine

I've found pitchers are good for brining a lot of stuff

Ginger and garlic

Kimchi flavors: garlic, ginder, Korean chili powder & anchovy sauce
(the last two, plus daikon radish, found at a Korean grocery in Allston)

Many vessels for brining

Ingredients (I've found having a kitchen scale fantastic for this stuff)

Mixing everything together

Stuff into clean jars, pour brine over all

ready to ferment
All in all, I'd like to say, a resounding success.  After learning from other fermentation fails, I thoughtfully placed these puppies in the basement.   Fermentation happens best between, I think, 75- 85  degrees - and it goes faster the hotter it gets.   Our apartment is often in the upper range of that, I think, in the summer, so sometimes things get a little too ferment-y.   One week in the basement, however, worked well.

One addendum to Liana Krissoff's excellent recipe: when the fermenting is done, I poured off the brine and replaced it with water, extra garlic, ginger and chili.  Otherwise it's overwhelmingly salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment