Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Saved" from Irene...

Today's cucumbers, green tomatoes, onions, potatoes...
My storm preparations....digging up all the yukon gold potatoes from the community garden (about 10 mins before the rain started), then pulling all the tomatoes that even had a hint of red...they will ripen on the window sill - I didn't want any of it to get blown on the ground or rot - or split - sometimes tomatoes get so filled with water that they split.    So now....I'm ready.  Sounds like tomorrow will be a good day to cook.

Garden journal:  only about 3-4 lbs. of potatoes from community garden - and I'm pretty sure I planted 2 lbs. of seed potato.  (I'll have to check my invoice), but in general, kind of a disappointing yield.   On the other hand, I barely watered them, and only weeded occasionally, and the plot was shady and had tree roots...but still, I have had much, much, much better luck growing these suckers in containers...

around 10 lbs. "red thumb" fingerling potatoes grown in buckets and bags in the backyard.   See how long these babies last!

No comments:

Post a Comment