Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review of "Radical Homemaking"

So, in the inevitable crossover of my literary and gardening pursuits, I present for you a witty and charming review of a book I fully intend to read (just as soon as those dang beans are harvested, the tomatoes safely in their winter storage box, and  my entire herb garden moved!).

http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article08311001.aspx

Enjoy.


On an update note, this blog seems to have gone as my gardening goes.....super heavy and intense at the beginning of the season, then trailing off a little as August makes everything go crazy, and down to barest maintenance as school starts up and life gets busy in September.    The basic update:  the cool weather slowed down all my fall crops, but I'm still harvesting a little lettuce, beans galore, tomatoes and peppers.  I have ripe bok choi, but can't find the time to eat it.   I've made chili, tomato sauce, steamed beans, more tomato sauce, all sorts of middle-eastern style Tagine potato, eggplant and tomato and pepper dishes, etc. etc. in various combinations.    In general, I have it down to a science at this point:   beans are cleaned, tipped and tailed, and frozen in plastic bags.   Tomatoes are sliced in half, cored and de-seeded, sprinkled with olive oil, a little salt and maybe rosemary, and roasted on parchment paper in a 200 degree oven for 1-5 hours.   (1 hour for making sauce later that evening, when, cooled, the skins slip off pretty easy, 5 hours for bagging and freezing).   cucumbers and peppers are eaten ASAP.   It's nice now, that planting is all done and harvesting, cooking, preserving and eating are the biggest chores.   Looking out now for the first frost, so we can grab all the tender plants before jack frost does!

No comments:

Post a Comment